Thursday, September 16, 2010

sociological immagination to my own life


North Vietnam attack South Vietnam
Vietnamese people emigrated to U.S.

Vietnam in 2009
          The story that I will tell you is based on my life in Vietnam.  I remembered when I was fifteen years old.  My grandfather told me a story about World War I and World War II.  He was a senior lieutenant colonel, who was in World War I and World War II in the struggle with America, Germany, Japan, and France.  He tried  to save Vietnam.  He said “Vietnamese soldier very braved, they were not scared of death, they were tired but they had to prepare for battle. Before 1975, the American Government kept peace for Vietnam.  They helped Vietnam improved the economy.  They supported money to Vietnam families who had many children. https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg6sYFayTAO5DmKzGV8jKsPelMm3Ksi9_1aFhDsLuji6JbBkp_3zjhGrdKmWOehVqe0UFgq63tuuyYQ2YEjwlLo9Nk0ua3bvggvjBXEtr5xDGsbxV5kzBUFK0eQOI_wOd0FCq6sic6rpXZ0/s1600/ike_diem.jpg . Unfortunately, after the fall of Vietnam in 1975, the North Vietnam or called the communist attacked the South Vietnam.   I did not understand why Vietnamese people attacked their own people?  What wrong with them?  The time begun, they made change to everything, and the communist attacked Vietnamese people who were in World War I and World War II in the struggle with foreign country.  That’s why my country is lower social class and bad government. http://www.historycentral.com/asia/CaptureofSViet.jpg  Then, American Government interfered and they helped Vietnamese soldiers who are struggled in World War I and World War II emigrated to America or other different countries?  Now many Vietnamese peoples lived in different counties around the world.  They lived in Canada, America, Australia, France, England, and Germany. They could sponsor their family and they have a free life. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huong-Hoc-Duong/119152491a470728#!/photo.php?pid=129822&id=119152491470728&ref=fbx_album.  Last year, I went back to Vietnam and I visited my families and friends.  I could not believe it is my country anymore. Everything changed tremendously because there are new construction roads, many new company buildings, banks, bridge, supermarket stores, and luxury hotel.  Many foreign peoples investment in my country, they help us advanced our economic and created new opportunities and jobs. Meanwhile, there are still thing that did not change about this country which is the rich get richer, and poor get poorer.  http://bamboogreenhotel.com/UserFiles/Image/TinTuc/causonghan.jpg and http://khudothimoi.com/images/tintuc/509/chinh-phu-dau-tu-du-an-nha-thi-dau-the-duc-the-thao-thanh-pho-da-nang-011.jpg
            When I used to live in Vietnam, I had a best friend and we are still good friends. He named Hieu.  Hieu is taller than I am. He hair color is as black as the midnight.  His eyes glisten is as light.  His favorite hobby is playing soccer; especially playing it with me.  We became friend when we were 11 years old.  We grew up together, hung out, and played soccer.  He is a good boy, smart and so kind to everyone.  He had a hard life.  His father died when he was 14 years old.  The economy was bad, the government did not support his family and they did not have a lot of money.  However, he was never discouraged.  He went to school and work everyday. He wanted to help his mom by taking on the responsibility to support the family.He was better than me because I had a much easier life.But, I often hung out with my friends and did not to go to school because I did not have goals or dream and there was not much opportunity. It is normal in society not attend college and work for the rest of your life because receiving an education was too expensive. One day, there was an opportunity that had changed my life forever.  My uncle who lived in America for twenty-seven years and who is escaped from communist in 1975 (North Vietnam attacked South Vietnam) called my family.  He told us he sponsored my family to go to America. At the point, I felt confused.  I have many questions in my mine. Should I go to America and leave my best friend who grew up together with me?  Should I leave my country where I was born? And should I leave my grandparents who are always taking care to me?  If I didn’t go to America I think I would never know a country famous for economic, sport, largest society, or something.  And I would never know how to drive an auto car.  Now I feel I have made a great decision to come here because I have so much to live for in this new country that I can also called home.  My goals are to graduate from high school and attend the University of Nebraska at Omaha for a business degree.  I plan to receive my degree in four, if possible three years by doing my best, staying focused, and staying away from trouble that can distract me in college such as drinking and drugs.  I will motivate myself to never give up on what I’m seeking.
               My parents had a hard life in Vietnam. The economy was tragic, and we did not have money to be able afford anything.  I am hoping to support them in the future after I get a good education and have a stable job.
               My dream is to be an administration and manage my own business. I would like to start my own business firm, and make my business firm an Asian affair.  When I look at statistics online, at Jobs.com, Asians hold only 8.8% of the business jobs in the United States.  I would like to make my business firm an Asia-owned establishment to inspire more Asians with a passion for Business and Administration to enter in this field.
             Math is also my passion. I have loved math since I was eight years old.  I have participated at school, home, and other math related events.  That is why it is extremely important to develop a back-up plan. Math will always be my number one prior; but, for now, I want to focus on my career first, and put my math on hold.  I know it will always be here.
             I have been working at First Data since September 7, 2009.  I am a Staging Clerk, and I assist with various office-related duties, such as greeting visitors, answering phones, copying, typing, and mailing. This can establish in my experience because at First Data, I meet a lot of people, make friends, and receive hands on training. Working at First Data has created an opportunity to apply for their associate scholarship. Working at First Data has and will open more doors for me as I enter my future.
            I am now a more successful person than my friend who lived in Vietnam.  But I feel sadness and miss them when I am walking between UNO buildings.  I look at students talking, having fun, and hanging out together.  Which make me miss Hieu and I think,”What is he doing now?” I will visit my best friend and my family as soon as possible.





 
Hung out
                                                                                                          
My family

Hieu friend
Graduated
Middle School
My parents

Vietnam in 2007
My best friends
My best friends


Vietnam 2008

Vietnam in 2010


          
         

2 comments:

  1. This is really good. The decisions you had to make seemed really hard to do, but you seem to love it here now. i hope the best for you and hope for you to reach your goals and see your friend and support your family. This essay was very well written and well thought out. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete